Monday, July 27, 2009

PCOS....will the excess hair ever go away?

I have been dealing with PCOS now for about 5 years. I have facial hair, as hard as that is to admit, and I have always just shaved it off. Now, it is thicker and darker, and I'm having to shave it off more often, so it won't be seen. I'm on a better diet now, and I'm starting to lose weight, so I can kick this problem to the curb. When I do, will I still have all this hair? Since I have been shaving my face, will it go away?



PCOS....will the excess hair ever go away?

I'd have to agree with the birth control route. Up your female hormone level and that should help.



xxx



PCOS....will the excess hair ever go away?

Symptoms of PCOS begin to reverse when you have lost around 15% of your bodyweight. Your excess hair growth is actually caused by the higher levels of testosterone that your body is producing which is a common symptom of PCOS. As your hormones settle down so will your hair growth. In the mean time stick to waxing rather than shaving as shaving causes the hairs to grow back thicker and darker whilst waxing can reduce hair growth long term. There is also a prescription medication available to reduce testosterone levels which is known as cyproterone. The contraceptive pill can also assist in controlling your hormone levels. Ask your doctor about these as an immediate short term option.



PCOS....will the excess hair ever go away?

I, too, am dealing with PCOS. No, unfortunately, the excess hair will never go away. My gyno put me on a birth control (Yasmin) that is supposed to help with acne and lessen the growth of hair. I haven't been on it in a while, so I can't say for sure that it works. Ask you doctor about it. You can always check into the laser hair removal to get rid of the facial hair. Since the area is small, it shouldn't cost a lot! Good luck!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment